Vs: Re: 14.4.2012 Epic 5 Instinct, Australia (Anna Willberg MM!)

Uutiset Foorumit Kilpailutoiminta Kilpailut 14.4.2012 Epic 5 Instinct, Australia (Anna Willberg MM!) Vs: Re: 14.4.2012 Epic 5 Instinct, Australia (Anna Willberg MM!)

tku

Osallistuja

Lähde: http://thesportsvault.com.au/index.php/athlete-interviews/252-athletes/fighters/caley-reece/589-caley-reece-post-world-title-fight

Caley Reece – Post World Title Fight

Matt: Another World Title to add to your collection, congrats on the win, you will have to get a bigger trophy cabinet now?
Caley: Thanks Matt and The Sports Vault! Yeh I’m stoked to have won my second WMC World Title in another weight division. After I won the first one, I needed to make some new goals that would keep me motivated so fighting up a division was my decision and challenge to really test myself.

Matt: You fought up a weight division and against a fighter, who normally fights up another division again, after the fight you said you felt like you had been in the ring with Mike Tyson, take us through the fight?
Caley: Yes Anna usually fights between 60 – 63.5 and has fought up to 67kg before. We have been in an 8 woman tournament together which was set at 60kg but never ended up meeting in it to fight so I knew she could make the weight and qualified to fight for the title. Anna is probably the strongest girl Ive ever fought. Those couple of kilograms up, i really noticed. She was big and had good range on her. I’m usually very strong in the clinch but she was equally, if not “felt” stronger, whether she was or whether im just used to feeling stronger, im not sure, but it was so good to fight someone of that calibre and strength. When we faced off in centre ring, i looked at her, she looked tall and staunch, and i knew i was in for a war!

Matt: The fight went the distance and you won via decision did you have a sense at all that you were winning the fight?
Caley: I only fought 10 days ago against a girl from Poland, and during the fight she cracked my nose which i had cracked another two times accidentally during training before Anna so the first two rounds i was actually really hesitant. As much as i tried not to think about my nose, i couldn’t help but worry about it a little. I know i lost the first round. I think i was overwhelmed by the strength of Anna . Second round was a little more even as I started to devise a game plan and change my strategy. Clinching is usually my forte but i backed off on looking for it and kept it at range for a while. Third , Fourth and Fifth i think my work rate clocked up the points and I landed some good kicks and doubled up on my knees in the clinch. I knew the fight was close but I thought i had done enough to secure the win.

Matt: You said before the fight that you both have similar styles did Anna fight the way you were expecting her to?
Caley: Yeh she fought very similar to the way I was expecting. It was the strength and size difference that made it a little bit harder than usual but I liked the challenge.

Matt: What did you learn about yourself in this fight?
Caley: I learned quite a bit about myself in this fight. I think a lot of fighters can go either way in a fight if they are getting beaten. The end of the first round, I knew she was on top of me. She was landing good kicks, good knees and was strong. That could have spiralled me downhill and I could have continued to lose. At the end of the first round I had a decision to make and that was to change my strategy very quickly and execute it which ive never had to do before.

Matt: How did you pull up after the bout?
Caley: I’m ok, just the general sore spots although I hurt my neck quite badly after falling in a weird position on the ropes which after the fight, I could barely move but ive looked after it and got some treatment already and its coming good already. Ill be training again in a few days.

Matt: Does it take you long to adjust to a fighters style and change your tactics if the fight is different to what you have expected?
Caley: As i said before, you have to be quick and smart to be aware that something is not working and have the ability to come up with a new strategy and keep positive enough to execute it. My game plan was not working in the first round, whether it was because i was hesitant to go forward too early because of my broken nose, i don’t know, but after round one in the corner we had to come up with something new very quickly and i had to trust myself to be able to go out and do it.

Matt: What goes through your head when your music is pumping and you are walking out from back stage to the ring?
Caley: I keep my mind clear. I appreciate the crowd but i don’t let it psyche me or pump me up. I like to feel balanced and as calm as I can.

Matt: Would you fight in that weight division again?
Caley: Yes i will fight in this weight division again. It opens up a whole new lot of people to fight. Im hoping to fight a well known English girl in June but just waiting on confirmation from her trainer. She is an excellent fighter and someone that people will think will be an awesome fight.

Matt: What is next for the WMC World Title holder?
Caley: Id like to defend my 57kg title which I will be doing very soon. Im off to Thailand next month to fight. Then i have EPIC in June. Then I’m off to Europe and have a possible fight when i get back in September. Then I’m off to Thailand again for a quick trip and then EPIC in October. I will then see where I’m at then

Thanks so much Matt – your support has been awesome.